Friday, February 22, 2013

The Relevance of Still Photography is Endangered, Not Extinct Thanks to Video

As the common expression goes, a picture is worth a thousand words.  That expression has been around since being used as a newspaper headline in 1911, and is still going strong today.  However, I'm sure if the editor of that newspaper were around today, he'd have a different headline in mind: A video is worth a thousand pictures.  Over the years, I feel that the relevance and usefulness of still photos have regressed in a major way, mainly due to the progression and rapid evolution of films, TV and other animated mediums.  The reason I feel this way is because there is no element of a still photo that is not either duplicated or enhanced by a video of the same scene.

A photo allows you to relive a moment.  A video allows you to relive an experience.
This does not only hold true for personal memories, such as visiting beautiful beaches or climbing to the top of a mountain, as seen above, but does so for news, entertainment and other societal experiences as well.  For example, if there was an article regarding the highlights of a recent sporting event, I would be shocked if the reader would be satisfied with only photographs of their favorite players and teams.  As a big sports fan, I would much prefer to watch a video of the highlights of the game so I can relive the experience as if I were there.

Video, like still photography, is widely considered to be a form of art.
In addition, many feel that photography is a form of art that will always be looked at in a different light by art enthusiasts.  However, art enthusiasts need to step into the 21st century and realize that film and television are starting to become recognized as their own form of art.  For example, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is a prestigious organization that is solely dedicated to the appreciation and analysis of film as an art form.


The same ideal goes for you, reading this right now.  Would you like to see a picture in this article?  No, because you would prefer to see something with explanation, something with audio, and most importantly, something with action.  Here, the video creator explains that video is a way for people to express their opinions and outlook on life, and without it, these people would be limited in the ways they could do so.  Simply put, this man's expressions could not possibly be conveyed through a still photograph.

Emotionally, videos are more powerful than still photography.
These are all powerful arguments that suggest that photography is not as relevant as it was during the era before TV and film.  Don't get me wrong; photography still has its relevance in today's society.  I have an old photo of my recently passed grandfather.  This photo has great meaning to me and it is something that I will always cherish.  Nevertheless, the point I am trying to make is that I will cherish even more the home movies and quick video clips of my grandfather.  The photo will forever let me see his face.  The videos will let me see his grandfatherly mannerisms, hear his hilarious, yet outdated jokes, and truly remember and enjoy the experiences I had with him.  This is something a photo could never do.  
   

1 comment:

  1. Cory,
    I definitely agree with the fact that the usefulness of still photos is declining. As an avid sports fan, I liked your argument about watching highlights rather than just looking at pictures. However, I think the photos can be used in useful ways in which a video cannot. As a kid, I know I used to enjoy cutting pictures out of the newspaper and hanging them on my walls. This also remains true for magazine photos of athletes. I think that a photo can satisfy people in other ways, but I agree that if you are looking for a more in-depth recap of a game, a video is more effective.
    There is another aspect of photography that you briefly mentioned at the end of your post that I would like to elaborate on. I think that photography plays a major role in our culture. It is very common for people to display pictures in their home, whether they are family photos or just pieces of art. A house without any photos would be very unusual in our society. There have also been fairly new inventions that allow for photos to remain useful. According to this article, (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/21/technology/personaltech/digital-slide-shows-are-a-worthy-update-to-photo-albums.html?_r=0), more and more people are taking photos because we can present them digitally via a slide show. This way of presenting photos is much more appealing to look at rather than going through an old photo album.
    I enjoyed reading your post and I thought the new form of art presented in the video clip was very interesting. It seems like this abstract art is starting to become more popular. Good work.

    ReplyDelete